metoo meme
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
metoo meme
what do you all think of the metoo meme on social media the past couple of days? in one sense its good to raise awareness. in another, what good does it do to raise awareness if its not connected to any actionable change?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
10-18-2017, 03:02 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: metoo meme
i agree, raising awareness is only a part of the equation.
10-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Find Reply
Shadows Offline

Threads: 18
I'm really struggling with everything I see with this. I don't want to discount anyone's experience but to have my experiences lumped in with those who have been cat called feels a bit dismissive of the impact I feel everyday from what was done to me.

Plus I'm not ready to disclose at all. So I'm not participating and I feel like that lack of participation reads in a way I do t want it to.
10-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

thanks mosaic and Shadows. you're validating our own feelings about it.

we made a comment about every woman probably having been harassed and upset someone we didn't know was an abuse survivor who interpreted the comment as insensitive and normalising. i can understand that perspective, but still feel like being shouted at on the street is different from CSA in terms of longterm consequences. similarly, we have no desire to get into a disclosure conversation in public.

we have no right to dismiss other people's experiences and i personally think harassment stinks, but this meme is about putting our pain on display for others. who benefits?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
10-18-2017, 04:05 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
One thing that was pointed out was that metoo was about women who either experienced it or knew someone who did. One statement was that while all women know someone and men never seem to know anybody who did it. We must keep in mind that there have been male victims.

In some cases getting well known people involved helps, as in the Puerto Rico disaster. When it comes to SA, no matter how famous you are it doesn't change the judges minds. That sucks.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
10-23-2017, 11:39 PM
Find Reply
just peachy Offline
Read Only

Threads: 5
just curious who is meto meme ? social media is that facebook .jp
10-25-2017, 12:12 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

No it is a social strategy to try and raise awareness of SA against women. Too often when it happened the disbelief popped up. Who him? No way he is such a nice guy! Yada yada yada. But if a woman shares with you, adding "me too" to the conversation makes them feel validated. I don't know if I have the exact words. However, there are actors and others who are coming forward. And people coming forward about actors and others. There is more power to your voice if you don't have to stand alone.
10-25-2017, 02:32 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

but do you think it will change anything for the better?
10-26-2017, 05:49 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

PAH!I saw a stat in the Metro News the other day and I almost screamed. 12% of S. Assault even make it to court. And we have all heard horror stories about what happens in court. SFA! TV shows makes it look like 20to life but the few who are found guilty get 6 months if there are no complex issues.

If I told someone what happened to me and they said "me too!" I would shut down. It would equal to my saying "I bought new shoes today!" People need to listen and not talk!

Rest is MT but not SA

When I was in H once I went home on pass. While there I went up to see my friend. She told me about another friend who had been k*ll*d in a car accident with her husband and young son .I went back to H and was crying when I signed in. Nurse took me aside and I told her what happened. The nurse listened for 30 seconds and then started to tell of a friend who lost her son. I just shut down.

We are not all alike. It is good to know that I am not the only multie and that I have people like the ones here that I can relate to. Bit that does not mean that everyone here is like everyone else.
10-29-2017, 04:15 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

yes, exactly.
10-29-2017, 02:22 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline

Hey Nats, a #MeToo group has formed in my city. Power in numbers I guess. 't been A woman who looks like she hasn't been out of college for too long. She is reporting the perp to the police and trying to find out if it is too late to charge him. So I think it is empowering women.

In the US a senator (another one) is getting ousted for having a history of stalking teens in a mall. So people really are speaking out. That part is great as speaking up is freeing and empowering. But we need some people to be charged.
11-15-2017, 04:55 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

the fact that it's still going is something. lets hope some progress comes from it Smile
11-16-2017, 05:07 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline

For sure!
11-19-2017, 12:45 AM
Find Reply