Breaking the Amnesia Barrier
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Breaking the Amnesia Barrier
Both my husband and I have DID. One of his main alters, CT, comes out every so often for a very short period of time, and then retreats quickly leaving my husband with no memory of what CT said or done. The problem with CT is that he is a nasty piece of work. My husband is a very kind, loving, gentle person, and CT is pretty much the opposite. When CT is host, short-lived as it is, he lashes out and says nasty things to me, then disappears and my husband has no memory of what CT has just said to me. I have often been wounded by CT. I finally started to tell Wayne about what CT has said and done. He asked me to always let him know what CT says so that he can keep track of what the switch feels like for him. I suggested that by paying more attention to the INSIDE, he might become more aware of what is going on and perhaps have better recall and maybe even better control. So, this is what he has been doing, and I have followed by telling him right away about CT instead of waiting for a day or so. It has worked. He now has broken down the amnesia barrier AND he also has control over CT and is able to avert CT from lashing out. I don't know if this would work with everyone, but it certainly has worked for Wayne. CT lashes out and retreats - I tell Wayne right away what CT has just said or done - Wayne looks inside for any memory of the event. It took a few months, but it definitely worked. Wayne now can feel when CT is about to lash out and is actually able to stop him. That amazing! I hope that others might try this out if they have a similar issue and hope that it will work for them. I am not sorry to see/hear less of CT, that's for sure!
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
10-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Breaking the Amnesia Barrier
Curious. Is CT a teenager? Many of us have angry teens. It sounds as if yours needed some inclusion, teen or not.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
10-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Breaking the Amnesia Barrier
wondering the same as People. if CT lashes out there would usually be a reason. does Wayne try to talk or just shove CT back inside and not allow any conversation to take place? if the latter, then CT might find other less direct ways to make a point.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
10-11-2017, 04:31 AM
Find Reply