Sedation dentistry
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Sedation dentistry
Is it just me, or does anyone else have HUGE problems with the dentist? I had a great dentist from age 16 on, and he never, ever hurt me, but he retired. Since then I've searched and searched, and each try I've been severely hurt - like major pain even after multiple injections of freezing. Then, I hurt for months afterward and this has never been a problem before. Now, I'm too freaked out to even go in for a cleaning. I cracked a molar three months ago and it's half gone, but I still won't go. I am seriously considering SEDATION dentistry, but I've never done this and I'm nervous about it.

Does anyone here have any experience at all with sedation dentistry? I would really appreciate anyone responding about their experiences, or sharing if they're having problems going to the dentist. I've always been such a trooper, so I don't know what the heck is up with me now. Must be the new host - she's been out for about 4 years now, and that's when all the big dentist problems started. I cannot 'force switch' if my life depended on it, so I can't use someone else in my personality system who is good with dentists. What a mess. Please let me know if any of you have used sedation dentistry. I do believe that it is the way I need to go before I go and lose all of my teeth.

Thanks in advance.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
01-31-2017, 11:04 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Sedation dentistry
ok, different perspective so perhaps ignore if it's not helpful. the ONLY time we completely freaked at the dentists is when we were sedated - because - how could we know what happened to us while we were out? we had a lot of dental problems and took the opposite approach of not allowing them to numb us so they were extra careful with all procedures Smile . this was helped of course by having a high pain threshold, but the fact that they were much more careful when we refused anaesthetic was valid. we DON'T LIKE not knowing what is being done to the body.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
02-01-2017, 05:09 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
don't think you would call what we had sedation dentistry - we were given IV valium (i think).

we were not totally sedated - so we were aware of what the dentist was doing, but just didn't care. we knew the "sedation" was wearing off when we started to whimper.
02-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Actually the Valium is sedation dentistry. Also, like nats, I do not want to be unconscious and not know what is going on (trust issues), so my husband as opted to be in the room with me through the procedure. This eliminates any fears of, well, anything 'inappropriate' happening while I am sedated. I really think that this is my only option. My current host does not take dental freezing hardly at all, no matter how many times I am injected, so I've got to find something that will work. I do understand that they still will freeze me, but it will be better if I am near asleep when it occurs. I still am leery of the whole process, but we want to keep our own teeth! ?
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
02-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
yes, if you can have someone you trust in the room observing then sounds worth trying.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
02-01-2017, 05:53 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Yes nats, having my husband there is the ONLY way that I would attempt this. Gosh, we all are so darn untrusting (with good reason). I guess it is what it is and we just have to work around it. I doubt this sense of distrust ever goes away for any of us, and no wonder. Thanks for your response nats.
Heart
02-02-2017, 12:29 PM
Find Reply