Misunderstood
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Misunderstood
I am so tired of others in the outside world taking me wrong. What I mean is that they misunderstand my meaning or intentions, usually quite opposite to what I intended. I am frustrated and wonder why this keeps happening. One of my worst PTSD triggers is being blamed for something I didn't do. Lately, if the misunderstanding has led to me being accused of something I didn't do, then POW... the trigger is pulled and the pain & anger well up like a tidal wave. Then I am rebuked for being upset. Then I try to discuss the issue with someone else who has PTSD and THEY totally get it all wrong. I am SO peeved and frustrated and hopeless and feeling alone. I am painted into this horrible corner. I woke up this morning and I felt numb and blank like my hard drive had been wiped clean. I didn't know who I was. I mean - I knew my name and all that, but I didn't know WHO (as in what persona) I was. It was eerie. I was no one. Absolutely no one. It was like every one of me had gone into hiding to avoid the pain. This has never happened to me (us) before. Usually I shake things off, but this isn't going away, and the more I try to fix it, the worse it gets. I keep trying to get help, and it's like I'm invisible or something. No one sees how messed up I am, or maybe they don't care (paranoia must be kicking in for me to say that). I am hoping that a little more time will pass and things will reset themselves. Maybe my brain just rebooted or something. Feels more like a boot kicked me in the brain, but I'll have to wait and see what happens.
        Sorry for the rant, but darn, I am SO frustrated and isolated and freaked out. Someone actually suggested to me that reaching out for help during a PTSD crisis was more like self-pity: that it was inconsiderate to expose others to my internal pain. Amazingly, I rarely ever reach out - mostly I am silent and tend to try to help others, so getting rebuked in this manner from another PTSD sufferer was especially painful. I'm in that special place where I can't trust myself or anyone else for that matter. When every word you utter risks being misinterpreted, it becomes a scary prospect to even speak anymore. I think it's going to take a while before I get this mess sorted out, but one thing is for sure - I won't be saying much to anyone for a while. Shazzbutt!!!!
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
12-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Misunderstood
These people who tell you not to talk as it hurts others, it sounds as if they have issues themselves. As well, they have not read any of the literature. The kind that explains that people need to feel safe to share.

Perhaps you are choosing the wrong people to share with. Not everyone is able to listen. They may be able to bring you a coffee or drive you someplace but they cannot listen because it causes them to imagine the horror. I have been there. When I try to talk with friends they turn it around to talk about their own issues. I do have friends who will listen although fewer and fewer all the time. So I understand. It is more effective IMO to talk in 3D but we have this place because nobody out there knows how to listen. So please don't stop talking here. People are listening here.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
12-30-2016, 12:27 AM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
agreeing with People. maybe you're trying to talk to the wrong people.
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
12-31-2016, 04:22 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

People and nats: Thank you for your kind words. I agree that it may not only be about talking to the wrong people, but: a) Picking the wrong time to talk to them and/or b) Being in a state of mind where I am not articulating myself accurately. I think it is wonderful that at least here I am understood - probably because we share something so very deep in common (being our multiplicity and the roads & experiences that made us what we are).

THANK YOU again. Your kindness and understanding is very much appreciated!
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
01-10-2017, 02:35 AM
Find Reply
VioletPeach Offline
Violet

Threads: 2
I think we go out of our way to be self aware...knowing how we are, what we need, that we are triggered and what triggers us. Then the people we try to talk to and go to for help blow us off, don't understand, or flat out don't care to help us. My doctor tells me that we are a challenge to how the world thinks of personality...well, the rest of the world is a challenge to how I think of personality. I make a strong effort to try to understand Singletons. I wish those close to me would do the same and try to understand my needs as a Multiple. You don't need to feel apologetic towards the ones you attempt to go to for help or sympathy. You haven't done anything wrong. You live an immensely difficult life due to circumstances beyond your control and then others have the gall to give you a hard time, when you reach out for help? Unacceptable.
Ta Tu Go Leor
01-15-2017, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Thank you VioletPeach! By the very nature of what made us become multiple, we all, I believe, have large trust issues. Once we place our trust in someone, we have the expectation that they will understand us. Perhaps my expectations are misplaced, but yes, it still hurts. We are all ultra-sensitive to issues of blame and abandonment as these are directly tied to our trust issues. I suppose that makes us over-sensitive when we are misunderstood by those we trust. This is just something that I have to work on, and I suspect that many here also have this struggle to overcome. It isn't feasible to trust no one (my old motto: Humanae non confido - trust no one). In truth to get through life we have to trust someone at some point in time, whether it be a spouse, a friend, or a therapist. But we are all cautious and our trust has to be earned, for sure!

I had read somewhere that one of the signs of potential mental illness was the perpetual feeling of being misunderstood by others. This was only one symptom along with many others. My feelings of being misunderstood usually occurs when I've been horribly triggered, and I believe that my teen, Fagan, is the one that has the strong reaction to this. Once I settle down and slowly switch back to my host personality, the feeling of being misunderstood seems to fade and I am no longer hypervigilant and feeling that the whole world is against me. I guess it just depends which personality is 'out'. Still, you are right to point out that the invalidation is totally unacceptable, mostly because of our expectations of finding succor and comfort from those we trust the most and who we thought truly understood us are the ones who have invalidated our feelings.
Heart
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2017, 10:02 PM by Cammy.)
01-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Find Reply