A bad habit
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
A bad habit
I was the kid in the family who was trained to be the helper. My mother's subtle brainwashing made me believe that I was the one who needed to step forward when people needed help. Especially financial.

Now here I am heading to 60. I am living on a shoe string and yet I still feel the need to hand out to others. Tonight I went out and bought gifts for a senior, something that is being run by one of the pharmacies. good on both sides. helps them make money and helps the seniors who have little or nothing.

but I am a few years short of one of those seniors. I know that I do it because I always feel guilty if I don't help. And part of me feels like I will create a person to be there for me if I reach that unfortunate stage. I do exchange gifts with friends but they have dropped in number which makes the littles feel bad. we always buy ourselves a gift but with high co-consciousness the littles don't enjoy that very much. And when we don't get presents it is like us being told that nobody cares. we know that isn't true but it is hard. It isn't about the gift. it is about what it means. or rather, what not receiving means. so we spent too much money on people we don't even know because we don't want anyone else to feel that way.

but we cannot afford to save the world.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2016, 05:30 AM by The People.)
11-26-2016, 05:29 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
RE: A bad habit
we understand what you're saying. you have a good heart that is more than your mother's brainwashing.

we wish we were in proximity where we could exchange gifts with you. it would be fun.
11-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
It would be fun!
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
11-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
People, I think that your want to give is wonderful. So few people have lost the concept that it is indeed better to give than to receive. However, sometimes you have to be realistic if your finances are tight. I think it's cool to still give, but you may need to trim back the amount as you deserve something for yourself as well. The problem with getting to be our age is that people assume that we either have everything we need, or that the whole Christmas thing is more for children. Your littles are the ones definitely clamouring for gifts, and they are the ones disappointed when the volume of gifts doesn't meet their young expectations. I don't think it is that people don't care, I think it's just that the exchange of gifts seems to just wane off at this age. I'm so sorry that it causes you to feel uncared for, but please believe me that it really is an age related thing more than a not caring thing. I also think it would be fun for us to exchange gifts too! If it truly is the thought that counts then you've just received two gifts from two of your fellow multi minds.

Merry Christmas People! I hope you have a nice quiet stressless holiday and that the New Year brings you great things. Warmest wishes of the Season...Igraine.
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
12-08-2016, 07:25 AM
Find Reply