growing older stinks
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
growing older stinks
we had LASIK done 9 years ago to get rid of our glasses. well, we need glasses again.

and even worse, we've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. we are having a real hard time navigating the lifestyle changes this requires. i think we are a sugar addict. and with my schedule of work and school, i don't have time to prepare the types of meals i see in the diabetic cookbooks.

sigh.

it feels like my body is betraying me.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2015, 08:21 AM by mosaic.)
08-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: growing older stinks
So can hubby help out with the cooking? And I have friends who use weekends to make and freeze 5 meals for the week so they aren't scrambling every night. If you are a sugar addict it wil take a bit to get it out of your system but it will be worth it. Keep the big goal in mind. Being a healthier you.

As for the glasses, many of my friends who had the surgery need glasses for reading. The friend I visited a few weeks ago must buy the dollar store kind as she had 2-3 pairs just left in the house while she was away. That is the advantage of just needing reading glasses. Yes it sucks but it is a normal part of ageing. Good luck.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
just returned from a trip to the US and need to wean ourselves off sugar - it's in everything its no surprise people get addicted! our rules for home are only drinking water and coffee without sugar and preparing most meals (it's quick because we're not good enough cooks to get elaborate). seems to work. if you look at your schedule and food/drink choices and expenses are there things you could slowly change to get healthier and save some money?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
09-04-2015, 05:27 AM
Find Reply
Cammy Offline

Threads: 98
Growing older stinks indeed!!! It is always a surprise to us when we are dealing with health issues related to our chronological age when most of the time we don't relate at all to being that age. I don't know if we will ever be able to live in the chronological physical reality of our body when our minds are living in a much younger place. For my entire lifetime whenever people asked me how old I was I could never give them an answer until I pulled out my calculator. I've never been able to really know my age without doing the math. So when the health issues strike, I am always quite miffed. Hear ya on that score for sure!
Heart
Disclaimer: Any words or phrases used in our posts are meant in a completely respectful manner. Please know that we always endeavour to be kind and supportive.
09-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  for women in older bodies The People 3 2,813 11-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Cammy