Recognizing "typical adolescent behaviour
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
May trigger  Recognizing "typical adolescent behaviour
I was just watching the interview on the Duggan Family. For those who aren't familiar with the story the boy did some inappropriate touching age 12-14. Reported to parents who dealt with it. Questions around all of it of course. I am so polar on this situation. It is not nothing. But is it so huge? It is unacceptable but is it common teenaged behaviour?

Then there is the ultimate: That is nothing! After what I have been through it was NOTHING! I think the person I was most angry with was the retiring cop who vindictively leaked the story. Impacting the girls as well as the boy/now man.

What is normal? Will never know what is normal. That boy is a father now. Will he hurt his own kids or do a lot of kids who do these things stop when they get help?

Fox interview on You Tube.

Not saying I consider it normal. Times like this so glad I didn't parent.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2015, 02:01 AM by The People.)
06-05-2015, 01:57 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
May trigger  RE: Recognizing "typical adolescent behaviour
The whole Duggar thing has been distressing for us (Charity specifically), as we have been watching the show since it began over 10 years ago. We don't agree with a number of their beliefs, but we identified with the large family in that it reminds of of our system.

Our collective reaction to the incidents in question could be described as "disappointed but not surprised." The son who committed these acts has always seemed defensive to us. But we never expected to hear that this family had this kind of history.

The family and the show have been very polarizing from the beginning. We just take what we like and leave the rest. It's sad though, the way the tabloids have been skewing the story and leaving out pertinent facts just to make a profit.

We downloaded the police report, but we have no plans to read it anytime soon. We also saw the first part of the Fox News interview of the parents, and we plan on watching part two with the interview of the two married daughters.

And we agree that the police chief seems to be at fault. Sealed records of juveniles are prevented by state law from being released, even under the Freedom of Information Act. The police chief violated the law. Her attorney later commented to the effect of "the people have a right to know."

That's all we have to say for now....the whole thing is giving someone in here a bad headache. But we appreciate the chance to talk about it.

MDs
06-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Website Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Recognizing "typical adolescent behaviour
There are a lot of things that "people have the right to know." But a sealed record is just that. I will stop there
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
06-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Agree  RE: Recognizing "typical adolescent behaviour
Agreed. Thanks again for providing the opportunity to talk about this.

MDs
06-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Website Find Reply
Unity Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Recognizing "typical adolescent behaviour
Well idk about this case in particular, just read a bit about this, but to me as soon as there is boundary crossing, it's already a bad thing, specially on children or young teen, and there can be many things surrounding the abuse, related to secret, psychological pressure, that can still have negative impact on familly climate, of feeling of safety at home, and that can easily snowball into bigger and bigger thing, into problem at school, into other problems, and even if maybe the act itself is not taht bad you could say normal reaction of a teen that has hormonal growth, there can be many things surrounding it that can still have negative impact on the person, and specially when there is some level of secrecy or pressure or other bullying that can escalate it can still be a good start for other bigger problems, it depend also if the person is well surrounded or not, in a good supportive neighborhood or not etc

well an ex of a friend this kind of things is going on a bit in her familly, i'm not sure about the whole thing or anything, but it's this kind of things of already big brother a bit bullying her, but her familly looks a bit crazy too, it's with her a familly that a friend got an ex military with the ak47 tatoo, they seem to be pretty violent also, even if i don't think they have really hit her, but having bad famillial climate like this, it can still end pretty bad, with teenage problem who can end with the police or psychiatric hospital and lead to more trauma and more problems.

As for victims reproducing this kind of action on other, it's hard to say, there was a good documentary in french on this issue, specially related to incest or familly abuse, and the affective relation the person develop with the abuser can also be mixed and lead to many problem in how to conceive love and familly relationship too, in this documentary they were saying from psychiatric/clinic experience that a large part of abuser of this kind have been victim of it themselves too, but it's not always the case either.

There is an association in france who deal with this, with people who might think they can have some tendencies they have hard time to handle often mixed with other psychological issues or trauma they have hard time to handle themselves, but there can be many bad consequences when this kind of things happen and people don't get help.

But well this issue in particular it seem a lot mediatic thing to shock a little bit the american public and put a bit of spice in things to make more audience or to launch discussion on this topic, but it's clear they are always very taboo things, it's generally very hard to speak about this kind of things with most people. Which in itself to me is also part of the problem with this kind of abuses.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/did-jim-bob-duggar-admit-fundamentalist-families-have-sibling-molestation-problem :p
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015, 08:00 AM by Unity.)
06-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Find Reply