Intelligent 3D chat!
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Happy  Intelligent 3D chat!
I started volunteering for a program a few weeks back where I tutor a little boy. He is challenging but we are working together and I am figuring out some game plans. I thoroughly enjoy it even if it is just for 1 hour a week.

Last night was a pizza and scrabble night for the volunteers. I was on a team with 2 other people. They were both aspiring med students which means they do well in university but they SUCKED at scrabble. Regardless it was a fun night. They asked about my work history and I talked about my job, my successes in the past and shared a few success stories about clients, giving enough details so they get the jist of what I helped my clients achieve w/o giving away the details of clients themselves. They would never meet them but such details weren't necessary and I believe in confidentiality.

It was nice to get out but it was also nice to sit and chat with other intelligent people about intelligent things. To verbally reflect on my life. I also talked about my own challenges with doctors - just the physical stuff. I ended that part by imparting a bit of advice. "Always remember that your client is most often their own best expert with regards to what is going on in their lives." One plans to go into 1 of 2 fields, one of which is psychiatrist so to me it is especially important that he get that.

The pizza sucked but it has been a long time since I have been that comfortable while being out with people. I think it was because I had something to share which brought out my extroverted self.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
03-21-2015, 03:54 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Intelligent 3D chat!
I have been thinking about this and realize that it may have come across as my having breeched confidentiality. Nothing I said would ever be more than an indication of the kid of work that I did. I have had clients with many and varied disabilities and just gave examples of jobs I found, or that were found with the help of other staff. Sometimes totally by timing. And none of these people would ever know the clients even if I had used names which I didn't. Or even enough details for them to figure the person out if they did that 1 in a million fluke and bumped into them. It was just nice to be able to talk about achievements in my life although most are in the past now.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
03-22-2015, 01:51 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
That sounds like a great night. We are glad you got out and socialized and had meaningful conversations.
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
03-23-2015, 01:13 AM
Find Reply
mosaic Offline
just another one of us

Threads: 131
it really sounds like a good evening for you. that's so nice to hear.
03-23-2015, 09:37 AM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
Yay, People! Sounds awesome. Any chance of this being a monthly, or at least occasional, thing?
03-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Find Reply