Talked to partner about diagnosis
57thomas Offline

Threads: 3
Scared  Talked to partner about diagnosis
Well I've been worried sick for a month about how to talk to my partner about this, and tonight he brought it up at dinner. He asked what my diagnosis was, and i said "PTSD" and he said "...and...?" and i said "that's what I'm having the psych eval on Tues for". Then he made some ugly comments about MPD and i about fell through the floor. I told him that was one of the possibilities, and he spent the rest of the evening disagreeing and trying to invalidate everything i said to him as i tried to explain it. I know he's just in denial, but i just felt so alone and unsupported. And i don't trust him to not tell everyone we know either. Now I'm just numb.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2014, 03:06 AM by 57thomas.)
08-30-2014, 03:02 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Talked to partner about diagnosis
We're really sorry, 57thomas. And we hope that your partner learns to be more supportive.

MDs
08-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Website Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
RE: Talked to partner about diagnosis
really sorry 57thomas. do you know why he seems so hostile to a DID diagnosis?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
08-31-2014, 08:24 AM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
We are So SORRY to hear that! Hopefully when times goes by your partner will have some time to process it and come around.
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
08-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Find Reply
angel with wings Offline

Threads: 34
I agree with TW, maybe a little time to process it all and re-adjust. so give it some time. hope it all works out for you.
I'm beautifully broken, perfectly imperfect, beautiful in my flaws, altogether I am a beautiful disaster.
08-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
Friendship/Support  RE: Talked to partner about diagnosis
(08-30-2014, 03:02 AM)57thomas Wrote: Well I've been worried sick for a month about how to talk to my partner about this, and tonight he brought it up at dinner. He asked what my diagnosis was, and i said "PTSD" and he said "...and...?" and i said "that's what I'm having the psych eval on Tues for". Then he made some ugly comments about MPD and i about fell through the floor. I told him that was one of the possibilities, and he spent the rest of the evening disagreeing and trying to invalidate everything i said to him as i tried to explain it. I know he's just in denial, but i just felt so alone and unsupported. And i don't trust him to not tell everyone we know either. Now I'm just numb.

Wow. While I do agree with others that he may come around, and as awful as his hostility (hopefully temporary) is, the part that really hits me and worries me is that you "don't trust him to not tell everyone we know either." It's one thing to struggle and/or disagree with your diagnoses, but if he isn't respectful of you and your privacy, then that is something else altogether. That to me is indicative of a bigger underlying problem and does not, IMO, offer a good prognosis for his being a supportive partner to your healing process in the future. Obviously you know him and your relationship best, but please be careful and respectful of yourself(ves) and share only what you feel is safe for the time being. Hopefully he will grow into the supportive (and discreet) partner you all deserve. Take care.--orek
09-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
agreeing with orek (and great to see you guys Smile!!)
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
(09-08-2014, 08:16 AM)nats Wrote: agreeing with orek (and great to see you guys Smile!!)

Absolutely right back, at'cha, nats. Smile
09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Find Reply