Awesome couple of days followed by silence
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
Doing okay  Awesome couple of days followed by silence
I have laryngitis. Don't think there is anything else wrong. So I am OK with it. After 4 years of 90% hibernation due to health issues I volunteered at a local festival. I had a blast. Lots of walking but no swelling in my ankles (issue for a while) Was late a few times and I am very, very sore. Good sore however. I won a prize, nice one. Met some great people and did some other stuff.

I have been volunteering since I was in college. Took time off as explained above but this stint made me realize how much I have missed it.

Even if you don't like functions where you have to deal with people, you can always volunteer. Shoveling driveways for seniors if you have real winter. Helping out with Special Olympics where they don't know or care who you are as long as you are nice to them.

Some people might say "maybe when I am better" but for me this is part of my getting better. Feeling a sense of achievement as well as fun. Just my thoughts. However we all walk our own paths.Sno1
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  RE: Awesome couple of days followed by silence
When we were visiting the crisis center yesterday, we happened to mention in passing that we are a dog person. They suggested that maybe volunteering at an animal shelter might help us to feel better about ourselves. It sounded/sounds appealing, but it will have to wait until things have stabilized for us.

It never occurred to us to volunteer at a shelter because we are not in a position to care for a dog of our own. Not that having one's own dog is a prerequisite....we know that it's not the case, but on some level we felt it was.

If we ever get to that point, we know that david will be as happy as a dog-loving clam.

MDs    
08-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Website Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Awesome couple of days followed by silence
(08-25-2014, 04:05 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: When we were visiting the crisis center yesterday, we happened to mention in passing that we are a dog person. They suggested that maybe volunteering at an animal shelter might help us to feel better about ourselves. It sounded/sounds appealing, but it will have to wait until things have stabilized for us.

It never occurred to us to volunteer at a shelter because we are not in a position to care for a dog of our own. Not that having one's own dog is a prerequisite....we know that it's not the case, but on some level we felt it was.

If we ever get to that point, we know that david will be as happy as a dog-loving clam.

MDs
I know someone who was in the same position as you. Cannot care for a dog but would go and volunteer to walk once a week. She always came home happier. David would be thrilled. Two would want to take them all home. She likes her cats but also wants a dog. We are going to volunteer with kids. Need to get some health stuff settled and wait until after school gets started and organized - we start later, end later here. We know we need to be doing something besides writing. This weekend proved it.
Sno1
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
08-26-2014, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Happy  RE: Awesome couple of days followed by silence
ya it guna bee fun

david hoos 5 [Image: attachment.php?aid=193]
08-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Website Find Reply