Avoid Internet Explorer!!
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
Avoid Internet Explorer!!
Just got wind of this one.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/new-security-flaw-affects-all-versions-of-internet-84085229159.html

UPDATE: The U.S. Department of Homeland Security advised computer users to consider using alternatives to Microsoft Corp’s Internet Explorer browser until the company fixes a security flaw that hackers have used to launch attacks.

The United States Computer Emergence Readiness Team said in an advisory released on Monday morning that the vulnerability in versions 6 to 11 of Internet Explorer “could lead to the complete compromise of an affected system.”

etc. etc.
(quoted from Yahoo)

tweeter
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
04-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
RE: Avoid Internet Explorer!!
(04-28-2014, 01:33 PM)tweeter Wrote: Just got wind of this one.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/new-security-flaw-affects-all-versions-of-internet-84085229159.html

UPDATE: The U.S. Department of Homeland Security advised computer users to consider using alternatives to Microsoft Corp’s Internet Explorer browser until the company fixes a security flaw that hackers have used to launch attacks.

The United States Computer Emergence Readiness Team said in an advisory released on Monday morning that the vulnerability in versions 6 to 11 of Internet Explorer “could lead to the complete compromise of an affected system.”

etc. etc.
(quoted from Yahoo)

tweeter

Thanks Tweeter! Very Helpful. My tech person is not all that fond of IE anyway and for some reason mine stopped working quite some time ago. When he fixed the computer he put Google as my home page and Firefox as my alternative.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
04-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
News/Information  RE: Avoid Internet Explorer!!
Important:

Anyone who's still using Windows XP, Microsoft does not support it any more. So no fixes will be provided to XP users for the IE bug.

Best upgrade from XP to Windows 7 or 8.

MDs
04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(04-28-2014, 08:40 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Important:

Anyone who's still using Windows XP, Microsoft does not support it any more. So no fixes will be provided to XP users for the IE bug.

Best upgrade from XP to Windows 7 or 8.

MDs

I noticed that detail. Thanks. What gets me as well is that, according to my meager understanding, if it's a Windows machine, Microsoft updates are received only via the royal lineage of IE. (Bronx Cheer) I'm correct? No matter that I use Mozilla for everything else.

I now own an 8.1 setup with which I function minimally. Everything feels like a big deal. (Ready for an Apple, and I don't mean a Granny Smith.)
I found the place where I can ask to view all updates before downloading or installing, and checked that box. A short-lived triumph.......
Microsoft came up with an update which must be installed in order to access future updates, and acts retroactively to accept previously rejected updates. I don't recall whether this refers only to security updates. Whatever, it will cancel out my previous refusal of Windows Defender.
I got p*ssed and have been carefully using my XP machine, in peace. I know I have to go back, but must wait until IE mess is settled in order to be securely updated.

tweeter
04-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(04-28-2014, 04:17 PM)The People Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 01:33 PM)tweeter Wrote: Just got wind of this one.

etc. etc.
(quoted from Yahoo)

tweeter

Thanks Tweeter! Very Helpful. My tech person is not all that fond of IE anyway and for some reason mine stopped working quite some time ago. When he fixed the computer he put Google as my home page and Firefox as my alternative.

Yup, IE hasn't won any popularity contests lately that I know of. Haven't liked it since IE6. Mozilla Firefox is my primary browser, but I have Windows laptops (XP; 8.1) and they come with IE. Yahoo is my home page, and Google my search engine.
tweeter
04-29-2014, 12:18 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Question  RE: Avoid Internet Explorer!!
Can't you install Firefox on your laptop?

MDs
04-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Website Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
It's the only ting we're officially allowed to use at work. We're in IE 8.

DOn't even get me started on how they have totally borked the settings. There are WORK sites that we cannot use because someone totally fails at security settings in IE in the US (EU users were not affected)

Seriously, people have had multiple tickets open since the 3rd week in March. Someone managed to fix it for like 4 days, and then we've been frucked ever since.

*facepalm*

I have a security exception so that I can have other browsers on my work laptop. We need them to test mostly, but since they mucked up the IE settings, it's the only way we can use our data entry and management websites with having to CTRL-ALT-DEL or click through warnings and hope we don't end up having to CTRL-ALT-DEL. OMG!

Lea
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
04-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(04-29-2014, 03:20 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Can't you install Firefox on your laptop?

MDs

I have Firefox on both laptops, but in order to access Microsoft updates (available now for 8.1, not XP), I'm automatically transported to IE. Was that way for XP too; that's IE8 (what a dog). So, I'm pretty much locked out of my 8.1 machine until they fix the bug, because I can't do their XXXXXXX their retroactive and sideways and whatever updates.
tweets
04-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(04-29-2014, 10:22 PM)The Warren Wrote: It's the only ting we're officially allowed to use at work. We're in IE 8.

DOn't even get me started on how they have totally borked the settings. There are WORK sites that we cannot use because someone totally fails at security settings in IE in the US (EU users were not affected)

Seriously, people have had multiple tickets open since the 3rd week in March. Someone managed to fix it for like 4 days, and then we've been frucked ever since.

*facepalm*

I have a security exception so that I can have other browsers on my work laptop. We need them to test mostly, but since they mucked up the IE settings, it's the only way we can use our data entry and management websites with having to CTRL-ALT-DEL or click through warnings and hope we don't end up having to CTRL-ALT-DEL. OMG!

Lea

Oh, good grief, Lea! IE 8! Have IE 8 on XP machine, which was not upgradeable. I liked IE 6, from the tar pit years. I love my little Dell Inspiron 710m. FK it all! I'm still using it. (Norton 360; Spybot free version)

Be that as it may, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 no touch pretty much set up in the wings, though to use children's lit. imagery: I need bread crumbs! My cell phone is as dumb as I am, and I can't use tablets (technology with a lot of clutter and visual motion with high contrast graphics). The 15 is too big for me, and I have trouble seeing the keyboard, but the price was right.

I'm not a gamer. I come here, have a NY Times Subscription, and do my own fairly extensive research with limited, free-of-charge, access. Was hoping to add a BMJ subscription, and some other med journals. No can do now ($$$). Throw in some Youtube, and my email filing cabinet (don't ask), and I'm set.
I have a WD passport thingie that leaves me in the dust. That's another story. Storage, with the expectation of finding all files is still something devoutly to be wished.
Look, I'm far from advanced, or even intermediate, but much better than three years ago in some technology. My gift is intuition, but I need bread crumbs. And, to trust in the technology presented, which I can't do anymore.

I guess you read earlier about the Microsoft update that set me off to the point that I temporarily retired the 8.1. I was going to *** crow and do the update bidding of the M company, when IE mess erupted, so I can't do the updates. I was also going to rid myself of McAfee in 8.1 and get a free install of Norton 360.

Thank you for this opportunity to have a relaxing sh*t fit.

Many happy returns,
tweeter
04-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Question  RE: Avoid Internet Explorer!!
(04-29-2014, 10:57 PM)tweeter Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 03:20 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Can't you install Firefox on your laptop?

MDs

I have Firefox on both laptops, but in order to access Microsoft updates (available now for 8.1, not XP), I'm automatically transported to IE. Was that way for XP too; that's IE8 (what a dog). So, I'm pretty much locked out of my 8.1 machine until they fix the bug, because I can't do their XXXXXXX their retroactive and sideways and whatever updates.
tweets

Is Firefox set as your default browser, or are you simply choosing it over IE? IF FF is set as default, it should be the one that opens unless you say otherwise. Unless there's something about MS updates that we don't know.

MDs
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Website Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
We run Win7 at work. I have no idea why they have not updated IE. Seriously, if they are so concerned about browser security and such that they clamp down everything tighter than tight so like I can't even do like WORK, they really ought to move off the dinosaur version of IE. Um. Duh.
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
04-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(04-30-2014, 05:49 PM)MakersDozn Wrote:
(04-29-2014, 10:57 PM)tweeter Wrote: I have Firefox on both laptops, but in order to access Microsoft updates (available now for 8.1, not XP), I'm automatically transported to IE. Was that way for XP too; that's IE8 (what a dog). So, I'm pretty much locked out of my 8.1 machine until they fix the bug, because I can't do their XXXXXXX their retroactive and sideways and whatever updates.
tweets

Is Firefox set as your default browser, or are you simply choosing it over IE? IF FF is set as default, it should be the one that opens unless you say otherwise. Unless there's something about MS updates that we don't know.

MDs
_______
According to my understanding, IE was original default browser on both laptops. I believe I changed the XP computer default to FF. Okay, I turn on computer; desk top appears at start up; I double click on FF icon. There is also an IE icon, unused.
Still in XP, if I went to Control Panel and clicked on Microsoft Updates, entrance would be denied because I wasn't using IE. I was directed to Automatic Updates, where I could connect to Microsoft update choice area. The rest is a blur, literally.

As for 8.1, I believe I chose FF as default. FM, who also bought the same computer for himself, helped me to set up over the phone. I opted to be notified of updates, and to choose what I wanted, a choice I seem to be told I must give up. I haven't touched the machine since. The only way I remember to get into updates at this point is via a flag-like icon on the bottom right.
My vague memory is that when looking up details of individual updates at Microsoft on either machine, I was in IE. FF, I believe, does stay open, but I am forced to use IE for update purposes. I've seen the IE icon on the page.

Best I can do,
tweeter
05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

(04-30-2014, 10:17 PM)The Warren Wrote: We run Win7 at work. I have no idea why they have not updated IE. Seriously, if they are so concerned about browser security and such that they clamp down everything tighter than tight so like I can't even do like WORK, they really ought to move off the dinosaur version of IE. Um. Duh.

Ah so..... Wonders never cease, ever.
I retain sanity by viewing BBC TV "Top Gear," re fast and powerful cars.
tweeter
05-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Friendship/Support  RE: Avoid Internet Explorer!!
Sorry we can't think of any other way to get the updates in FF rather than in IE. Undecided

MDs
05-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Website Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Friendship/Support  RE: Avoid Internet Explorer!!
(05-01-2014, 03:42 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Sorry we can't think of any other way to get the updates in FF rather than in IE. Undecided

MDs

Hi, thanks for taking such care. Makes me feel better. Microsoft has me on a leash, and I don't like it. It's the kind of world we inhabit I guess.
tweets
05-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Find Reply