Mapping the system
Downtherabbithole Offline

Threads: 29
May trigger  Mapping the system
I feel after a failed attempt at last chance of therapy I'm back to feeling like gotta figure out myself. I keep thinking one of first things a therapist has done in past n often come accross in discussions about this is mapping the inside. If only in my view to stop pretending others don't exist build trust n let them know they are seen, valued n heard. I'm finding names get picked or come out that I never knew before. Either they've only just chosen a name after all this time because of a character they identify with, or they took that name way back when n just didn't trust anyone to tell then their name. I came accross an idea one therapist did with someone of a sand box with lots of choices of figures of ppl n animals and they chose the ones they felt represented their parts, another suggested each part having a self portrait. I know one sees themself as having long curly or wavy brown hair, I see her. But it's strange I never had natural brown hair or that colour hair n my hair is short. Naturally blonde or strawberry blonde but my hair is more a mocha colour n short. Another part has black long curly hair, another short blonde hair. I thought as asking parts to write isn't working but could doing self portrait work? Or does anyone else have any ideas of things that worked for them? As for me, I feel I don't have an image, I love to close my eyes and dance, there isn't image just movement and music. I can open eyes n see but I try to think of what I look like but I don't think of me as a physical being, actually I think a drawing one if us drew represents me a bit, a ballet dancer in the water and the water movement, I am the movement of air, like instead of arms n legs I see me as. Movement of water or air or colours in place of arms n legs does that make sense. I loose sight n connection with outside n enter a place of movement n energy. Not sure if makes sense I've never had to describe myself before. I am the movement in the dark, my place of safety.
04-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Feedback  RE: Mapping the system
You might like making a scrapbook. Each part could decorate a page with items they like, personal notes, drawings, and even photographs (when they were out). It can be interesting to look back at photographs. Who was out, what was their preference of clothing, what was their mood like, facial expressions, what activities did they enjoy, etc. It can be a fun way to get to know your parts. Even younger parts usually like to be creative.
Hope this helps.
Have a good day!
04-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Find Reply
Downtherabbithole Offline

Threads: 29
RE: Mapping the system
Thanks might try that.
04-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Find Reply
Silent Society Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Mapping the system
When we were working on finding out who was there, my system used paper triangles. We cut out a bunch of about 8 inch triangles from paper that we liked and put them in a envelope for easy use. When ever someone felt like describing themselves, they could get out a triangle and write what ever they wanted: a name, things they liked, anything that described them. Was very useful and a way to be able to look back and see who was there when couldnt remember. Also did a map that was added to and changed over time.
05-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Find Reply