Question Language and Terminology?
Twin Volition Offline

Threads: 7
Question  Language and Terminology?
I'm new to this website and I've been seeing a lot of terminology in use that I'm not familiar with. I'm also concerned about pronouns and what names for things are considered polite/healthy (e.g. how should one refer to one's self as a whole and how to one's "others" or a specific person?). I couldn't find another thread about this in Help Desk, so if I could get some advice on that and some definitions for the following, I would greatly appreciate it:

- dx
- T
- triggering
- grounding
- perp

Thanks in advance.
03-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: Language and Terminology?
Hi Twin Volition,
You can use whatever pronouns you want to describe your system. You can identify who is speaking if you wish too or not if you don't want to. It is completely up to you and your system. Everyone is different and at different places in their journey. Hope this helps.
Here are some definitions of the words you listed.
dx-diagnosis
- T-Therapist or therapy
- triggering-something that happens that triggers a memory. It could be a scent, sound, phrase.....
- grounding- grounding is used to help make you feel "present" in the here and now. Using grounding techniques helps during a flashback or after one to help center you in the here and now.
- perp- perpetrator, someone who abused you......
TW
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
03-11-2014, 12:49 AM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Friendship/Support  RE: Language and Terminology?
Welcome to the forums, Twin Volition!

MakersDozn (MDs)
03-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Website Find Reply
The Warren Offline
Configurator of Things

Threads: 95
RE: Language and Terminology?
You can call yourselfs what you want! Many people use different pronouns at the same time. Pronoun soup is common for multiples. You can talk how you want here. It will not look weird to anyone. People have many different ways of describing themselves too. Some say people. Some say alters (yuck sorry not me!). Some say household or group or system or whatever they feel like best describes them.
byby
sidra
"And I'm a million different people from one day to the next." - The Verve, Bittersweet Symphony
03-12-2014, 01:33 AM
Find Reply