The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 862 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 862 errorHandler->error

Messages In This Thread
Diagnosis, social life, and benefits - Twin Volition - 04-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
Twin Volition Offline

Threads: 7
Question  Diagnosis, social life, and benefits
As we are not currently diagnosed with anything but major depressive disorder, I've been wondering: what are the benefits/drawbacks of a diagnosis for dissociative identity disorder? What purpose does it serve?

I've come to the conclusion that surely there are indeed some advantages and disadvantages to having a diagnosis. For instance, it seems to us that people would be more understanding if there was some form of external explanation for our "behavior", or some kind of professional opinion. Speaking just from our diminutive experience on this Earth, there is an immense amount of prejudice against our kind, diagnosed or not. As is, taking into consideration the rarity and less-than-favorable reputation of the phenomenon of multiplicity, someone without a diagnosis is likely to be disbelieved, ridiculed, misunderstood, discriminated against, or all of the above--even more so than someone who is diagnosed. I get the impression that most people think the difference between a looney attention-fiend and a respectable person is that diagnosis.

I'm sure this is not news to anyone, but we have no friends. We never did. There were a few people that occasionally put up with me, but they were more the friends of family, and even then, that was before they knew I was a freak. Making friends as of late has proven repeatedly fruitless, even online. Perhaps I'm just looking for something to blame other than ourself, but I feel that a diagnosis may help others to be more accepting of us.

Secondly, it would make sense for there to be tangible benefits as well. I understand this isn't the case with everyone, but we have never had a job, and have solid reason to believe that we are incapable of holding one. With that in mind, would a diagnosis of some sort, maybe even just an "NOS psychotic disorder", help my case in getting financial assistance?

Of course, the most important question of all remains: is obtaining a diagnosis--or even therapy of any sort--worth the financial/emotional expenditure and risk of being involuntarily committed again? Even if there was no diagnosis involved, we would very much appreciate if someone could help, but no one is willing to talk to us. The only thing anyone ever wants to do is send us to the hospital and/or put us on drugs.

- Arlen
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014, 05:06 PM by Twin Volition.)
04-30-2014, 05:05 PM
Find Reply

Messages In This Thread
Diagnosis, social life, and benefits - Twin Volition - 04-30-2014, 05:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Coping with Social Anxiety The People 3 3,951 12-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Cammy
  Questioning Our Diagnosis Shadows 10 6,235 10-13-2017, 03:51 AM
Last Post: nats
Caution Stuck in a Pattern (Our Life Story) MakersDozn 2 2,516 11-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Last Post: MakersDozn