Hurricane Sandy
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Just talking  Hurricane Sandy
To all who are in the path of the hurricane, please stay safe.

We live on Long Island and work in Manhattan. Our employer, a major national nonprofit, only closes its office if the NYC government offices and/or schools are also closed. We're not affiliated with either, but that's our employer's chosen guideline.

NYC schools and government offices are closed tomorrow.

At home, we have flashlights and extra batteries, and a couple of cans of Chunky soup in addition to our usual groceries. We're more concerned about possible power outages than anything else. Hurricane Irene left our block without power for three days, and that storm wasn't even close to what's predicted now.

Let's hope that Sandy's effects are minimal.

MDs
10-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Website Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
RE: Hurricane Sandy
Please stay safe MDs. We have been thinking of you as we track Hurricane Sandy
Tangled
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Find Reply
MakersDozn Offline
MM Oldtimer

Threads: 186
Doing okay  RE: Hurricane Sandy
Thanks. The National Weather Service (dunno what the Canadian equivalent is) says that effects of the storm may be felt as far as 500 miles (804.672 km) from its center.

MDs
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2012, 05:04 PM by MakersDozn.)
10-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Website Find Reply
Sera_etal Offline

Threads: 0
(10-28-2012, 05:03 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Thanks. The National Weather Service (dunno what the Canadian equivalent is) says that effects of the storm may be felt as far as 500 miles (804.672 km) from its center.

MDs

We haven't been around much lately...due to intense school activities in NY!! We are in Rochester...also most concerned about power outages. Stay safe and warm MD!
10-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Find Reply
nats Offline
here and there..

Threads: 89
we'll be thinking of you guys. stay warm and safe. hope you have lots of blankets?
Blush Learn how to manage conflict, because the greater the level you can tolerate, the more freedom you will retain - E. Walsh Smile
10-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
Tangled Web Offline

Threads: 169
(10-28-2012, 05:03 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: Thanks. The National Weather Service (dunno what the Canadian equivalent is) says that effects of the storm may be felt as far as 500 miles (804.672 km) from its center.

MDs

Yes it will hit us with its high winds and rain.......but nothing from what I am hearing when it hits new york. Hope it passes with as little damage as possible.
"You may not remember what someone says or does, but you will never forget how they made you feel" Mac Anderson.
10-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Find Reply
Emma19 Offline

Threads: 3
Friendship/Support  RE: Hurricane Sandy
Take care MDs,
Be safe and let us know how you are. We to are braced for Sandy. I have to go to work because I am a nurse. So I guess I am packing a bag to stay overnight. Going thru Irene and then that freaky October snow storm last year I am anticipating another week of power outage. Last October we had no power for 9 days. I pray this is not a rerun. So please take care. I will be thinking of you.
Take care, emma19
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
Stay safe MD's!
Hope you don't lose power for too long. I am a native Long Islander and know how tough it can be. Especially, if you get a large amount of snow.
Thinking of you! Keep us updated.
10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Find Reply
tweeter Offline

Threads: 24
(10-28-2012, 03:17 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: To all who are in the path of the hurricane, please stay safe.

We live on Long Island and work in Manhattan. Our employer, a major national nonprofit, only closes its office if the NYC government offices and/or schools are also closed. We're not affiliated with either, but that's our employer's chosen guideline.

At home, we have flashlights and extra batteries, and a couple of cans of Chunky soup in addition to our usual groceries. We're more concerned about possible power outages than anything else. Hurricane Irene left our block without power for three days, and that storm wasn't even close to what's predicted now.

MDs

I wasn't around for Irene. Had already left for The West.
From what I have gathered about this storm, I'm not in a state of personal alarm. I've dealt fine with winds 30-50mph, and storm gusts of 60-70 don't bother me, though I tend to stay indoors for those. I know seaside areas, like Rockaway are expecting considerable erosion, with flooding in other areas.
My area of Queens seems okay, if the electricity doesn't go ptooie. I got batteries for the old boom box (6 D cells), and 5 gallons of water just in case the tap spews discolored water. I was told that the washing machine water can be yukky after a storm. Got to thinking about what would be coming out the faucet upstairs.

I hope you weather the storm well. Been thinking of you.
tweets
"Even the very emptiest of the emptiest
Has a false bottom, a false bottom."
10-29-2012, 02:56 AM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
(10-29-2012, 02:56 AM)tweeter Wrote:
(10-28-2012, 03:17 PM)MakersDozn Wrote: To all who are in the path of the hurricane, please stay safe.

MDs

I wasn't around for Irene. Had already left for The West.
From what I have gathered about this storm, I'm not in a state of personal alarm. I've dealt fine with winds 30-50mph, and storm gusts of 60-70 don't bother me, though I tend to stay indoors for those. I know seaside areas, like Rockaway are expecting considerable erosion, with flooding in other areas.
My area of Queens seems okay, if the electricity doesn't go ptooie. I got batteries for the old boom box (6 D cells), and 5 gallons of water just in case the tap spews discolored water. I was told that the washing machine water can be yukky after a storm. Got to thinking about what would be coming out the faucet upstairs.

I hope you weather the storm well. Been thinking of you.
tweets
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
10-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Find Reply
The People Offline
Long Time Member Who grew Up Here

Threads: 1,021
We have a big fat candle. It is ugly but heats a room if we burn it and some small ones. Don't dare sleep with it burning but at least we can read etc. Fortunately Western Canada is Safe alwthough BC is having some earth quakes.
I Am My Only Chance For A Hero!
10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Find Reply
little monkies Offline

Threads: 4
Hi MD's, and any one else in the path of the storm. Thinking of you and hope this storm soon passes. Have sent you an email. I know, I'm a blast from the past. Just wanted you to know we are thinking of you. All the best

Rosie

P.S. I am posting this with a blue flower. I didn't adapt well with the changes here so I am a bit uncert[/size]ain which icon to use
10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Find Reply
Emma19 Offline

Threads: 3
Scared  RE: Hurricane Sandy
Officially scared. Winds at nuts at my house right now. I pray the trees in my back yard stand united together.......we are not liking this. ....emma19
10-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Find Reply
Reilly Offline

Threads: 32
I have been watching the coverage on TV throughout the day. Just heard the tunnels in NY might be flooding, wow!
To all who have been impacted by this, stay safe! Keeping you in my thoughts.
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Find Reply
orek Offline

Threads: 12
Wow, all, we're watching the news and thinking of you all in the Frankenstorm! Did you fill your tub with water? Emma, I hope you are safe being out there as a care worker. You all are true heroes in times like this. I hope all the kids are feeling safe, maybe making an "adventure" out of this so they don't feel scared. Take care!
10-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Find Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Scared Sandy is in Canada too The People 5 5,323 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Tangled Web