Mosaic Minds Community Forums
What am I gonna do.... - Printable Version

+- Mosaic Minds Community Forums (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Main Street (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Town Square (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: What am I gonna do.... (/showthread.php?tid=841)

What am I gonna do.... - mosaic - 05-07-2013

at this point of building my practice, i take almost any client who walks in the door...

as of now i have three... count 'em.... three! adolescent clients.

i never planned on working with teenagers.

teenagers scare me!

i wasn't a typical teenager, and never understood teenagers when i was one.

oooooh.... what am i thinking

there... terrified rant over.... breathe... i can do this ... breathe...

RE: What am I gonna do.... - MakersDozn - 05-07-2013

Hi mosaic,

Hearing your feelings of anxiety.

You're good at what you do. You can do this.

MDs, sending you strength

RE: What am I gonna do.... - Reilly - 05-07-2013

Hi Mosaic.
I hear you. I too was not a typical teen and thought working with them would pose a challenge. However, I discovered that there is a certain purity to these young adults. Most kids I've worked with were not the "problem." It really was a family issue. If I had a dollar for every time a parent said, "I hope you can fix them or figure out what's wrong" I would be rich. So often I wanted to hold up a mirror to the parent when they said that.
Hang in there. You can really make a difference in a child's life.

RE: What am I gonna do.... - mosaic - 05-08-2013

thanks, MDs and Reilly. i'm very grateful for your words of encouragement.

RE: What am I gonna do.... - nats - 05-08-2013

same anxieties. now i'm the mother of one and not very good at it.

RE: What am I gonna do.... - Tangled Web - 05-08-2013

I can hear your anxiety to and like the others have said I believe you will do great! I have all the faith in the world you will be able to reach these teenagers and help them. You are a great listener and most teenagers just want to be heard. Smile
TW

RE: What am I gonna do.... - Katz Krew - 05-08-2013

Mosaic....I understand the uncertainty of stepping out of your comfort zone and think you are very brave and courageous to have done so. From your posts I have no doubt of your T abilities. Just because you are dealing with them now doesn't mean that you need to continue once you've got a stronger clientele base and/or once you've given it a try. This is just for now. You, as the adult, have every right to change your mind as you go and make adjustments to who you help.

It's funny cause I forget all the time that I can say "no" just because that's my right and thus find myself doing things I then resent or regret. Never had a choice growing up to say no to things. Am definitely exercising that right these days. Currently it's my issue of answering the door when someone knocks unannounced. I do NOT do well with that. So I've given myself permission to not answer if I don't want. I also don't hide the fact that I am indeed home yet am blatantly not answering. The anxiety that comes from that knock on the door is something I've dealt with for a long time. I have one friend who totally gets my reaction and doesn't answer the door herself either and I have another friend who thinks I'm weird for not answering but he doesn't deal with anxiety like I do. I don't care what anyone thinks. I am doing what I need to do when it happens. I am taking care of ME these days. It's awesome being an adult!

<3
Jamie of Katz Krew

RE: What am I gonna do.... - finlyalive - 05-09-2013

Throughout the years, I have had the opportunity to help others with many types of issues. I am not a professional anything, of course. But, I have found that this peculiar diagnosis that I have offers different perspectives. We have a way to relate to people in a way that no one else possibly could. I truly believe that my children benefited. They always had playmates and someone to understand. That is a complicated story. I guess what I am trying to say is that although this is out of your comfort zone, you have a way to help these young people that most people don't. Sometimes MPD or DID seems like a curse, but it does have its advantages.

I do not know your profession and am only assuming. You are in my thoughts and I send wonderfully glittered thoughts your way!

Fin