Mosaic Minds Community Forums
New and multiple - Printable Version

+- Mosaic Minds Community Forums (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums)
+-- Forum: Visitors' Center (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Welcome Wagon (https://www.mosaicminds.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: New and multiple (/showthread.php?tid=1214)

New and multiple - DJStrangers112358 - 03-18-2014

Hi all. We've been lurking on the forums for some time now and have decided to introduce ourselves. Firstly, I am Kahlia the host, a 32 year old university student with schizo affective disorder. I was originally diagnosed with DID in 2007 apparently caused by events in my childhood that I won't bring up here.

In 2008 I received my first ECT treatment which robbed me of all memories prior to the beginning of the year. This both saved my life and caused me great pain, and allowed me to quit self harm. As you would probably expect I did not want to ever have the treatment again. Unfortunately, after trying every other option we were forced to submit to it again. Thankfully there has been no memory loss from any but the first course of treatment.

My alters were almost invisible until my memories began to return, and I'm still not 100% sure how many of us there actually are. Right here and now I am aware of six others but my husband believes there are more. For this I have to accept and respect his count as he sees more of them than I do.

The alters I am aware of range from 3 years old to 16. Jessie, my 6 year old comes to the front most often and really enjoys her colouring in and kids movies. She has actually been signing the pictures she's been colouring and gets really excited because I bought her a stack of twistable crayons and colouring books. My husband has also told me that all he has to do if he wants me back is to ask her (Jessie) to please give me back the body and she does, quite happily.

We're still learning with the others and have, quite probably, not met them all yet. I count myself (and ourselves) very lucky that I/we have such support. We are very aware that family support is a luxury not shared by everyone.

I'll shut up now, but we will hopefully talk to some of you soon. It's good to be in a place where people understand the challenges us multiples face each day.

RE: New and multiple - mosaic - 03-18-2014

welcome to Mosaic Minds. we're glad to meet you. we look forward to seeing you around the boards.

RE: New and multiple - nats - 03-18-2014

hi Kahlia,
welcome to all of you. like your avatar - very pretty!

RE: New and multiple - The People - 03-18-2014

Smile So glad you have a supportive husband. My youngest Two is quite open about who she is as well. However, she wants nothing to do with husbands. Just out kitties. I often wondered what would happen if one had shock treatment and also had alters. Now I know although I imagine everyone is different. Perhaps now that everyone is coming forward the reasons for the depression will too and you won't need anymore ECTs

RE: New and multiple - MakersDozn - 03-18-2014

Hi Kahlia and all,

Welcome to the forums. We hope you like it here.

MDs

RE: New and multiple - Tangled Web - 03-18-2014

Welcome to MM. Look forward to getting to know yous on the boards Smile

RE: New and multiple - Downtherabbithole - 03-19-2014

Hi welcomeSmile glad to find other people who like kids movies especially soneone so close to my outside age. Sounds like you have great husband and good working relationship with child for her to be willing to give up the drivers seat when requested. I'm not sure but I think it comes from them feeling they are being given time to do what they want at times enough to not feel they have to fight for control to be heard. I think that's great to have that sort of trust between insiders. I don't know much bout ect except I think from what I'd seen in return to oz movie but I'm sure they've improved the technique nowdays. Sorry to hear the first time caused memory loss but glad to hear that second time went better. Look forward to hearing from you more, glad you've felt comfortable enough to introduce yourself. WelcomeSmile

RE: New and multiple - DJStrangers112358 - 03-21-2014

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to welcome us.

On the subject of ECT I have to state that things have changed quite a bit since it began being a treatment. These days it is much safer - especially than what was shown in Return To Oz (one of our favourite movies by the way... and now we're buying the full 15 book box set...) and the impression given on Girl Interrupted. Don't get me wrong though, it's not something that I would advise people to have if they haven't tried everything else first. It is unfortunately though the only treatment that works for the depressive part of my illness.

As I travel down to Brisbane four times a year for two weeks at a time my alters are beginning to get used to how things work down there at well. This last trip they were happy to come out when I took myself to my room for a couple of hours each night before I went to bed. We'll see how things are going to go as these trips keep happening.

Anyway again I just wanted to say thank you to everyone. Smile

RE: New and multiple - The People - 03-21-2014

(03-19-2014, 12:20 AM)Downtherabbithole Wrote: Hi welcomeSmile glad to find other people who like kids movies especially soneone so close to my outside age. Sounds like you have great husband and good working relationship with child for her to be willing to give up the drivers seat when requested. I'm not sure but I think it comes from them feeling they are being given time to do what they want at times enough to not feel they have to fight for control to be heard. I think that's great to have that sort of trust between insiders. I don't know much bout ect except I think from what I'd seen in return to oz movie but I'm sure they've improved the technique nowdays. Sorry to hear the first time caused memory loss but glad to hear that second time went better. Look forward to hearing from you more, glad you've felt comfortable enough to introduce yourself. WelcomeSmile

Message from two. I do also like moves there tho body hav old parts. we want to see that daspicanble me one there. well both of them. we don't like snow wite. hate her ose. but we do like it went we find good movie on tv. and not baby movies. the kida move all us laff.

RE: New and multiple - DJStrangers112358 - 03-22-2014

(03-21-2014, 08:40 AM)The People Wrote: Message from two. I do also like moves there tho body hav old parts. we want to see that daspicanble me one there. well both of them. we don't like snow wite. hate her ose. but we do like it went we find good movie on tv. and not baby movies. the kida move all us laff.
We love the "Despicable Me" movies.... and lots of other kids movies as well. We're very lucky that our host's husband likes kids movies too even though he isn't a multiple like us.